Welcome to the RacersLounge™
Latest Racing News, Results, Stories, and Photos...
"More FUN than you can shake a
checkered flag at!" ©
"The Pickin' Parlor" is Brought to You By:
The best source for Commercial and Racing Graphics!
Click on the logo above for
The Best Source of Commercial and Racing Graphics!
Forum Navigation
Latest Racing News from www.RACERSLOUNGE.comNews   Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMembers  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp

RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
  Racerslounge Message Forums : The PICKIN' PARLOR
Subject Topic: Okay Gear-Heads
Active Users Online Now:   5 Active Users , 5 Guest(s) and 0 Member(s)
Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
BugMan
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: March-16-2012 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote BugMan  

Maybe one of you can explain this...by the grace of God, everything was okay in the end.

Wednesday afternoon, I came around the loop on an interstate exit on-ramp and began to accelerate up to speed (2003 Saturn Vue V-6, sealed transmission) when something felt like it "broke" underneath about mid-vehicle. After pulling to the shoulder, I discovered that all I had was Reverse and Overdrive. Reverse appeared to have normal torque. Anyway, resigned to the fact I was going to have to replace the transmission, I put it in Drive, and drove it home in Overdrive.

My local repair shop is withing walking distance, so I walked there & began inquiring about trannys, which for this ride are hard to find up here. I decided I would wrap up my day and get ahead of the whole thing. This is where it all changed...

...I decided to get back in my car and run 2 errands that were just outside of walking distance. after backing out, I decided to shift the automatic transmission manually to see if I would get a response, and I was shocked to feel it suddenly shifting normally!

I put it in Drive and haven't looked back since. Although I give God the credit here, is there an explanation as to why it did what it did? It obviously wasn't broken...maybe the computer got confused & reset after shutting down & restarting?

Lucky & grateful...that be me

Edited by BugMan on March-16-2012 at 7:38am
Back to Top View BugMan's My Profile Search for other posts by BugMan Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
tyrodtom94
Track Champion
Track Champion

Posted: March-16-2012 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote tyrodtom94  

I don't want to rain on your parade,  but it happened once, it'll likely happen again.

It is computer controlled,  so that's probably the problem,  or one of the connections.  It might have set a fault code,  and you can get that checked.

A lot less expense than a transmission,  and installing it at least.

Back to Top View tyrodtom94's My Profile Search for other posts by tyrodtom94 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
BugMan
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: March-16-2012 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote BugMan  

Yup...happening again definitely is in the back of my head my friend. One mechanic explained that the computer might have gotten confused and tried to shift into 2 gears, or that a shaving might have clogged the tiny opening in the valve? solenoid? Anyway, I know nothing about transmissions (as you can tell, lol).

i have never been this lucky with a vehicle with regards to such a major issue.

Edited by BugMan on March-16-2012 at 12:51pm
Back to Top View BugMan's My Profile Search for other posts by BugMan Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
5dirtracing
Team Owner
Team Owner

Posted: March-17-2012 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote 5dirtracing  

we have an issue with our explorer trans, seasonal problem winter time trans shift flashes on 2-3 shift summer time goes away. nothing to do with vehicle temp just outside temp. computer is in the cowl area on our explorer and when that area is hot from sun or engine heat work perfect when that area is cool flash comes back that leads me to believe we have a computer problem also if it was a trans issue that started over 40,000 miles ago i believe it would have gave up by now.

and yes these computer controlled trans can act up over the least thing. bugman the issue of the shift coming back after cutting the car off is that it reset the safemode in the computer controls.

Matthew 28:19King James Version (KJV)

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Back to Top View 5dirtracing's My Profile Search for other posts by 5dirtracing Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
BugMan
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: March-18-2012 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote BugMan  

One thing I've noticed:

I didn't purchase new, but a family member did so I've been familiar with it since purchase. I didn't drive it however until it had 15-20k miles on it. I never thought the transmission behaved quite like it was supposed to. Every time I would accelerate while in motion, it always wanted to kick into "the gear" most accociated with acceleration at much greater speeds. It didn't matter whether I wanted to go just a few MPH faster or 30 MPH.

Now after what happened, it seems to be behaving "normally". There seems to now be an intermediate gear that I can barely feel when going up a hill that propels the ride when I need to maintain speed up a hill when I accelerate just a smidgen, & I have watched it automically downshift itself when slowing. I'm hoping that's good lol.

It also would "wind up" at times when accelerating & shifting at full power (like getting up to speed on an interstate)...it would act like a weak clutch, accelerating to greater RPM's than its torque. It doesn't do that...yet

Edited by BugMan on March-18-2012 at 10:42am
<< Prev Topic | Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version