Welcome to the RacersLounge™
Latest Racing News, Results, Stories, and Photos...
"More FUN than you can shake a
checkered flag at!" ©
"The Pickin' Parlor" is Brought to You By:
The best source for Commercial and Racing Graphics!
Click on the logo above for
The Best Source of Commercial and Racing Graphics!
Forum Navigation
Latest Racing News from www.RACERSLOUNGE.comNews   Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMembers  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp

RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
  Racerslounge Message Forums : The PICKIN' PARLOR
Subject Topic: Kiffin to be Next Head Coach at TN
Active Users Online Now:   8 Active Users , 8 Guest(s) and 0 Member(s)
Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
BugMan
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: November-29-2008 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote BugMan  

I can honestly say I am shocked at this choice. I knew he was on the list, but he has never been a head coach at the college level...just the Raiders in the NFL and he ended up there NFL (Not For Long, LOL).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3731656

Back to Top View BugMan's My Profile Search for other posts by BugMan Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Bobby Gobble
Track Owner
Track Owner

Posted: November-29-2008 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote Bobby Gobble  

and remember before he got the Raiders job he couldnt even get the Minnesota coaching job. This is a joke and no way can he recruit against some of the vetern coaches in the SEC.

Edited by Bobby Gobble on November-29-2008 at 7:14am

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: November-29-2008 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote Robbie Henry  

I think you guys may be pleasantly surprised...only time will tell but now that the hire is made let's give him a chance.

Robbie

It is better to dwell in the wilderness than with a contentious and an angry woman     Proverbs 21:19
Back to Top View Robbie Henry's My Profile Search for other posts by Robbie Henry Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
ST1
Track Champion
Track Champion

Posted: November-29-2008 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote ST1  

I don't even know who he is...lol

Go Brad Teague, Truex, Edwards, Gordon, Waltrip, Vols,Colts, & Karns Beavers!

Back to Top View ST1's My Profile Search for other posts by ST1 Visit ST1's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Robbie Henry
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: November-29-2008 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote Robbie Henry  

Alot of are fans may not know who he is, but as long as the four and five star prospects know...that's what we're looking for. Tennessee's recruiting has been down over the past five years and that's painfully evident now...it's time to turn that around. While at USC he had the number 1 recruiting class three years in a row.  We'll see eventually how this all turns out but with the status quo we had in place we sure weren't getting anywhere.

Robbie

It is better to dwell in the wilderness than with a contentious and an angry woman     Proverbs 21:19
Back to Top View Robbie Henry's My Profile Search for other posts by Robbie Henry Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Bobby Gobble
Track Owner
Track Owner

Posted: November-29-2008 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote Bobby Gobble  

He was 5-15 as head coach of Oakland Raiders but I dont see him able to recruit against Florida, Alabama, LSU, and some of the strong SEC teams. Its way different out west than the east

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: November-30-2008 at 6:33am | IP Logged Quote BugMan  

Even with the state of the current program, we can still beat Kentucky, LOL!!!

I'm usually a "benefit of the doubt" person, but why oh why did Hamilton not wait another week or 10 days to take the temperature of all who would be available to talk to then. He's definitely rolled the dice here so if it doesn't work, I predict he'll be gone along with Kiffin.

If he can do what Richt has done at Georgia, I'd be pretty happy. Richt had no head coaching experience either...still can't believe they let Tech beat em yesterday.

Back to Top View BugMan's My Profile Search for other posts by BugMan Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
BugMan
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: December-01-2008 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote BugMan  

Okay I feel much better now. Watched the press conference...he's ready and he's excited.
Bobby Gobble
Track Owner
Track Owner

Posted: December-01-2008 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote Bobby Gobble  

Bug of course he is excited he has a "job"

Track Champion
Track Champion

Posted: December-01-2008 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote ST1  

I cannot wait until all of this jibber-jabber is done with...you know, when football time in Tennessee rolls around again. I don't like to analyze football..I just want to see BIG ORANGE get out there and kick some butt!

Back to Top View ST1's My Profile Search for other posts by ST1 Visit ST1's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
BugMan
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: December-02-2008 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote BugMan  

ST1 wrote:
I cannot wait until all of this jibber-jabber is done!

Hmmmmm...jibber jabber, lol...has someone been watching too much Boston Legal lately??? LOL!

Van_84
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: December-02-2008 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Van_84  

Lane Kiffin did an incredible job at USC at their recruiter. As Robbie mentioned, all that matters is that the 4 and 5-star prospects know who he is. Lane is so charismatic that he can bring in the good players and coaching staff to turn the University of Tennessee's football program around. I think that UT fans are going to be presently surprised as well, although 2009 will definitely be a rebuilding year.

As for his stint with the Raiders, that was a losing situation from the get-go. Could anyone have been successful with that team? Not as long as Al Davis is calling the shots...

Track Owner
Track Owner

Posted: December-02-2008 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote Bobby Gobble  

but recruiting in the west coast is much easier than the east. Do you really think he can take the top rated players from California and bring them to Tennessee over USC? The answer is heck no then he recruits against Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, and the list goes on. I dont see him being able to recruit in the east and the west coast kids wont come east. 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: December-02-2008 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote BugMan  

Casey Clausen and Brother Rick...California

Tom Myslinski...Alaska

Just to name a few off the top of my head and from the past...here are some more current (07 and 08)

Kenny O'Neal...Oakland, California

Cody Pope...San Diego, California

Nevin McKenzie...Athens, Texas

Gerald Jones...Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Edwin Herbert...Fairfield, California

DT
Armijo
Fairfield, Calif.
6-3, 290

Yep Bobby, I believe they do come east every once in awhile.

Bobby Gobble
Track Owner
Track Owner

Posted: December-02-2008 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote Bobby Gobble  

yeah every once in awhile but if they could have played at USC dont you think they would have stayed there? I think so

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: December-02-2008 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote Van_84  

Think about this, would you rather be #3 on the depth charts for USC, or #1 for Tennessee? For the kids that want to play, they will go to a school that is rebuilding in order to get more playing time. It also depends on what kind of offense and defense that Kiffin will run. If there is a kid out on the West Coast that wants to play in the offensive set created by Kiffin and his coaching staff, then of course he'll come.

Let's face it though, with the NCAA changing the way that it awards scholarships, we have seen a big change in competition. Teams like Ball State, Missouri, and Texas Tech can actually contend for a National Title late in the season, while former powerhouses like Michigan, Notre Dame and UCLA have fallen towards the bottom. It's good for college football. Maybe not your team, but in general, it's a good thing.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: December-02-2008 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote BugMan  

Excellent post Shawn!

They will go where they can play right then. Why warm the bench at a colleges like the USC's or even Texas, Ok, or Tennessee when they've had plenty of depth in the past when you can go to a Boise St or Ball State and play right then...the Pro's don't care where ya played...have you ever seen the colleges that some of the best NFL players have come out of???

I'll never forget the look on the Coaches' and media's faces when Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones took Larry Allen from SONOMA STATE as their 1st pick in the draft back in like 1990 or 91...Allen was the most dominant offensive lineman their was for years from the get-go.

Jerry Rice I believe played at somewhere like Arkansas St, Terry Bradshaw and Brett Favre from NE and SW Louisiana, etc etc...the list goes on.

The USC's and Texas's, Ohio States and Floridas of the world without a doubt have more players that make it to the NFL, but the mid-majors, and 1-AA's of the world are getting their fair share. My Alma Mater Marshall University is a huge example.

Since 1992:

Troy Brown-Patriots

Mike Bartrum-Eagles

Randy Moss-Patriots

Chad Pennington-Dolphins

Byron Leftwich-Steelers...

...that's all I can think of off of the top of my head...there are a few more...Lyons (used to play for the Packers) and we had a center and a D-Back in there too...OH...The center I believe is Jason Starkey (Arizona).

Annnnywayyyyy excellent point Shawn!

Bobby Gobble
Track Owner
Track Owner

Posted: December-02-2008 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote Bobby Gobble  

thats is a great point. Bug I didnt know you went to Marshall. I am a big Marshall fan. I only live about 1 1/2 from Marshall. I wish they was still winning like a few years ago

Track Champion
Track Champion

Posted: December-02-2008 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote ST1  

BugMan wrote:

ST1 wrote:
I cannot wait until all of this jibber-jabber is done!

<FONT color=white size=3>Hmmmmm...jibber jabber, lol...has someone been watching too much Boston Legal lately??? LOL!

Yes! Enough of this jibber-jabber poopy-cock in my courtroom! lol. What a great show. I was wondering if anyone would catch that reference to it.

BugMan
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: December-02-2008 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote BugMan  

Born and raised in Huntington Bobby. My head loves orange but my heart bleeds green (and absolutely despises blue and gold, LOL).

ST-1...except for sports, it's the only show I watch on ABC and I've gone to bed with my side split and the back of my neck hurting many times

Bobby Gobble
Track Owner
Track Owner

Posted: December-03-2008 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote Bobby Gobble  

yeah I HATE West Virgina, Louisville, and Florida St

Track Champion
Track Champion

Posted: December-03-2008 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote ST1  

BugMan wrote:

Born and raised in Huntington Bobby. My head loves orange but my heart bleeds green (and absolutely despises blue and gold, LOL).

ST-1...except for sports, it's the only show I watch on ABC and I've gone to bed with my side split and the back of my neck hurting many times

I watch it when it comes on Ion Television. It's a great show but I think it's too political. So many of their cases have to do with some national or international hot topic.

Van_84
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: December-03-2008 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote Van_84  

I absolutely love Boston Legal, especially when they break the "4th Wall". The last episode was a great example of that when Carl Sack stated that the only show that catered to the over-50 crowd was "Bost...wait, I can't say that, it would break the 4th wall." HAHA!

Gigi and I were both cracking up at that one! Almost as good as when Denny told Alan that they should do something REALLY amazing since this was their last season. HAHA!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: December-03-2008 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote BugMan  

[/QUOTE] I watch it when it comes on Ion Television. It's a great show but I think it's too political. So many of their cases have to do with some national or international hot topic. [/QUOTE] ...

...which is exactly why it's the only program I watch on ABC. I don't let the politics get to me. I just enjoy the comedy...too good to pass up!

How'd you like the line Shore used on Crane the other night...something like "Denny, when it's all said and done you'll probably out-live us all and will still be doing those Priceline commercials"!! LMAO!!

ST1
Track Champion
Track Champion

Posted: December-03-2008 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote ST1  

BugMan wrote:

I watch it when it comes on Ion Television. It's a great show but I think it's too political. So many of their cases have to do with some national or international hot topic. [/QUOTE] ...

...which is exactly why it's the only program I watch on ABC. I don't let the politics get to me. I just enjoy the comedy...too good to pass up!

How'd you like the line Shore used on Crane the other night...something like "Denny, when it's all said and done you'll probably out-live us all and will still be doing those Priceline commercials"!! LMAO!!

[/QUOTE]

I've never saw that one, so thanks for ruining for me...just kidding. lol

Bobby Gobble
Track Owner
Track Owner

Posted: December-04-2008 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote Bobby Gobble  

UT jumped the gun on hiring a coach I think. Today Tommy Tuberville resigned as head coach at Auburn. I would much rather have Tuberville over Kiffin anyday. Also other assistant coaches I think would make a good head coach are Jimbo Fisher from Florida St and Joker Phillips from Kentucky

GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bobby Gobble on December-04-2008 at 7:24am

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: December-04-2008 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote Van_84  

BugMan wrote:

I got a big kick out of that one too. Although, I think it would have added a little bit of comic irony if Priceline had actually bought a commercial spot directly following that statement. That would've been priceless! HAHA!

Track Champion
Track Champion

Posted: December-04-2008 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote ST1  

Ok...new thread based solely on Boston Legal. OldPro may not like this, this jibber-jabber poopy-cock on his forum. lol

Bobby Gobble
Track Owner
Track Owner

Posted: December-04-2008 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote Bobby Gobble  

I never seen Bostol Legal but I watch NCIS about every night

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: December-04-2008 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote BugMan  

Hey Bobby,

I'd take Lane over all of your aforementioned coaches, based solely on the facts that he can out-recruit and put together what's beginning to look like a "Who's Who" staff.

It still doesn't guarantee success though. Remember, one of the knocks on CPF was that he couldn't coach em up after he recruited them. I would assess half of that blame to the staff and the other to Fulmer himself.

One thing is for certain...unless Monte or Ogeron can fill Fulmer's shoes, the players aren't going to have near the father figure coach was to alot of his players. On the other hand though we appear to be getting no less than 3 family members on staff, (Kiffin, his dad, and Brother-in-Law Reaves), which in a different way, kinda carries on the "We are Family" atmosphere albeit down a far different avenue.

There might also be a 4th Kiffin...Lane's brother is an Assistant at Nebraska. I think when it's all said and done he'll be there too.

So how'd ya'll like Kiffin telling the 3rd ranked "dual threat" QB recruit in the nation that he might oughta look elsewhere??? I think it was a move that was not only honest and ethical (at 6'0 and I believe 195-200, this kid is not what we're looking at with regards to QB), but the demonstration of his kahunas shows me he's ready to be a head coach, LOL!

"Denny Crane, over and out!!" hehehehe!

Edited by BugMan on December-04-2008 at 3:13pm
Bobby Gobble
Track Owner
Track Owner

Posted: December-04-2008 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote Bobby Gobble  

I hope he does well but Florida still kick the crap out of them

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version